This week wpg may not be traveling too far away (approximately an hour South), but the majestic scenery sure does feel like it! We are lucky to call The Broadmoor Hotel, in Colorado Springs, our office for the week as we provide fresh and meaningful gifts and remarkable amenity experiences for a large insurance incentive. Not only are the attendees receiving cool gifts like Revo, UGG, Patagonia, S’well, Crazy Shirts and Pendleton Blankets, but more importantly we are helping thousands of people around the world with our Gifting with Giveback initiative.
Since we are experiencing The Broadmoor in all its majesty, we thought we would share some fun facts about this historic masterpiece.
• Dana and Doug met at The Broadmoor Hotel 25 years ago while Dana was working at the front desk and Doug was a bellman.
• The Broadmoor Hotel was founded in 1916 by Spencer Penrose when he purchased The Broadmoor Casino and Hotel and adjoining 450 acres for $90,000.
• The land on which The Broadmoor Hotel was but was originally a failing dairy farm, William Wilcox’s Broadmoor Dairy.
• John D. Rockefeller was the first celebrity guest to stay at The Broadmoor Hotel.
• The first golf course at The Broadmoor opened on July 4, 1918 for a golf match that was a fundraiser for Red Cross.
• The raised “A” in The Broadmoor’s name originated to make the name different since the name Broadmoor had been in use since the late 1800’s.
• In 1948 the first year round swimming pool opened.
• In 1960, The Broadmoor Hotel was awarded 5 stars for the first time.
• The Broadmoor is one of only a few properties in the world that has a dual distinction—Five Diamond and Five Star.